Blog Roddus

Blog Roddus
My Favorite Place

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Steve Abel - Blue Smoke - Christchurch - 30 July 2017



Steve Abel is another local New Zealand Singer Songwriter whom I had heard via the "Counting The Beat" podcast of New Zealand music. I liked the song I heard on that podcast but hadn't got around to buying his latest album, "Luck/hope" which was released on vinyl last year. He has several other recordings on Bandcamp, dating back to 2006 that I am not familiar with.
 This was another of Blue Smokes Sunday Sitdown gigs with admission being koha(a donation). The stage was bare this time as Steve just played on his own with acoustic guitar and the crowd was small but appreciative. He has a great voice and good stage presence and I enjoyed his craft very much. He played two sets of his modern folksy tunes without me losing interest throughout. Another quality NZ voice to add to the likes of Nadia Reid, Aldous Harding and Delaney Davidson(who was in the audience and knows Steve quite well by the looks). Glad I attended and picked up the LP while there.



No comments: